When we have each other, we have everything.
Mia, my mom, and I went to Ireland in August. We averaged 7 miles a day over 6 days and walked The Kerry Way of The Ring of Kerry. The scenery was beautiful and my walking companions were even more perfect!
We had so much fun in spite of the day in which we were poured on for 8 miles. Mia rode in an Osprey Poco Plus backpack. Most days we had her in a Tuffo (rain suit) to help keep her dry or warm from the wind. After packing diapers, wipes, clothes, hiking backpack, carseat, travel stroller (BabyZen Yoyo) etc...we were at 4 checked bags and two carry-ons. Hard to travel light with a baby...but I didn't think we did too bad!
We booked through KimKim / Ireland Walk, Hike, Bike. They planned the route, the transportation for pickup/dropoff from hikes, lodging, etc. This was super helpful and definitely the way to go when you are trying to coordinate carseats moving through different means of transportation! I have always planned our trips in the past, but to be honest, it wasn't that expensive to do it this way and I felt that we had a much more efficiently planned trip!
- Boating a lake to get to the start of a hike
- Amelia had scones/tea (cream tea) and black pudding (very English, so my Grandma Alma would be proud)
- Amelia started mimicking animal noises we made on the hike
- She loved passing all the animals on our walks and seeing the animals at the Dublin Zoo
- Navigated 4 flights, 2 trains, 4 trams, 1 bus, multiple taxis with a lot of stuff and a baby
- Changing diapers while Amelia is hanging in the air (on the rainy day and the ground was too wet)
- Everyone's comments / surprise that we were walking on The Kerry Way and that we were traveling with a baby
- Mia's first time at the zoo and at a park
Ameliaisms this Month:
- Went from army crawl to full crawl
- Second time on Gammy and Apa's boat, but first time on a dinghy...fell asleep in 2 minutes
- Went swimming with cousin Garrison!
- Eager for solids at every meal...enjoys quinoa, applesauce, kiwi, peaches, meat, asparagus, egg, cheese
- Learning to drink water in a sippy cup
- First overnight river trip on our boat and learning to be a boat baby right alongside her buddy, Levi (naps, meals, sleeping in hotel)
- First sleepover at Gammy and Apa's (5 nights without mom and dad!)
- Still sleeping 12 hours at night and 2 - 2 hour naps during the day
- She has finally learned to stay seated in the bathtub! Took SO many times of mom and dad reminding her to sit down!
- She is easily able to pull herself up to a standing position using any sort of ledge or furniture
- She crawls around the house following us and the dog
- Really wants to have whatever is in Nala's dog bowls
- Starting to stay on back during diaper changes again. Took SO many times of mom and dad reminding her to "stay on back".
- Likes controlling her pacifiers. Will take them in and out to drink a bottle or consume food.
- Amelia is like a Tesla...either on the move or she is recharging :)
Ben, Julie, and Amelia